Take a look at photos from past performances of the students in the Depot Theatre Young Actor Apprentice Program.
Depot Theatre Young Actor Apprentice Program
The Depot Theatre is offering a professional apprenticeship for young artists that will cover a broad spectrum of theatrical skills and experience, which include play writing, set and costume design, voice and movement, improvisation, acting and performance.
We are looking for young artists eleven to fifteen years of age (exceptions may be considered) who are genuinely interested in acting and who are curious about all aspects of theatre. We want to provide a truly memorable and enjoyable summer experience that emphasizes acting skills and theatrical knowledge in a professional environment. Our performance is important, of course, but primarily as a showcase to the honing of our young artists’ abilities. We will choose a script or scripts that best challenge our actors’ strengths and numbers. Performances are held at Ballard Park and sometimes other venues.
Because the art of theatre is so much more than just performing, the Depot Theatre has designed an exciting new program to give young artists a “whole theatre” experience. Participants in the program also will earn a certificate of completion from the Depot Theatre as well as community service points.
Our apprentices will:
1) In addition to acting, expand their understanding of various theatre jobs from playwright to director, stage manager, crew member, light/costume/set designer, to house manager and box office.
2) Be immersed for 3.5 weeks in actor training including voice, movement, improvisation, characterization and scene study taught by professionals.
3) Have opportunities to converse with and get feedback from Depot Company members that have established successful careers.
4) Apply learning to a challenging text and create 3 public performances.
Our 2017 Young Actors Apprentice Program is assisted by a Stewart’s Holiday Match Grant!
2017 Apprentice Program Schedule
Participants will meet Monday through Thursday, 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. — with some special Depot Theatre event add-ons. (The Depot Inside Out – June 27 – July 6)
- June 27 – Organizational meeting
- June 28 – Meet the playwright/ play writing activity
- June 29 – Technical theater- workshops with designers and stage manager
- July 5 – The audience experience- box office, house management orientation
- July 6 – Attend final run through of Depot production
- July 7 – Invited to preview (strongly recommended) to see a play twice (8:00PM)
- July 10 – Voice and movement master class
- July 11 – Voice and movement/ improvisation
- July 12 – Acting basics/ improvisation
- July 13 – Read through
- July 17 – Text master class
- July 18 – Voice and scene study workshops with Depot actors
- July 19 – Elements of design with Depot designers/ scene study workshops Depot actors
- July 20 – Elements of design/ scene study
- July 24 -Production development- ensemble work
- July 25 – Ensemble work
- July 26 – Stumble through
- July 27 – Extended hour rehearsal
- July 31 – Extended hour rehearsal/ run through
- August 1 – Extended hour rehearsal/ run-through
- August 2 – Dress Rehearsal/ production meeting with notes
- Performance: August 4 at 5PM at the Depot Theatre
- Performance: August 5 at 6PM at Ballard Park (Rain location: Heritage House)
*Dates subject to change.
About the Performances
Featuring Shakespeare’s rude mechanicals from A Midsummer Night’s Dream and an array of contemporary movements and monologues the Depot Apprentice Showcase performances will take place on Friday, August 4th at 5:00 PM on the Depot Theatre main stage and Saturday, August 5th at 6:00 PM outdoors in Ballard Park. Admission is free, but donations are appreciated. The apprentices in the 2017 Depot Theatre Young Actor’s Apprentice Program are Amanda Mann, Leanna Costin, Caleb Albano, Brennan Mazzotte, Gabrielle Mazotte, Lauren Gough, Brody Lobdell, Daniel Rutz, and Ailsa Kohler. The program is co-directed by Lindsay Pontius and Scott Gibbs.
Apprentice Program Registration
Registration is required to participate. There is a $50.00 registration fee per student. Scholarships are available upon request. (Registration is closed for the 2017 Program.)
Please download the registration form and submit to the Depot Theatre with payment. Mail to PO Box 414, Westport, NY 12993. Checks should be made out to “Depot Theatre.” Or you can register online here. Please let us know if your child has any special requirements (allergies etc.).
If you have any questions please contact us below!