Depot Theatre Academy
The Depot Theatre believes that youth and families exposed to theatre and the arts are enriched in important ways that add value to their lives in the early stages of learning development as well as later in life.
May 2020 – NOTICE: Depot Theatre Academy 2020 program postponed
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Depot Theatre Academy program originally planned for 2020 will be postponed to a future season.
However, if circumstances allow, the 2020 program will be replaced with a physically-distanced outdoor program, at a date to be determined. Interested participants should request to be added to the email list for updates on this new program by emailing Kim Rielly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Depot Theatre Academy gives area youth professional theatre experience, on and off stage
Participants will have opportunity to become Equity Membership Candidates
The Depot Theatre Academy encompasses the existing junior program (formerly Boquet River Theatre Festival) for young artists ages 8-12, and an enhanced senior program for participants ages 13 and older who are enrolled in school, home school, or college.
The junior program, held at the Whallonsburg Grange Hall July 6-26, will include workshops led by Equity professionals in acting, voice, and dance, culminating in three performances of this yearâ€™s production, INTO THE WOODS, JR.
The senior Academy program will be held July 27 – August 23 at the Depot Theatre, and will consist of professional instruction on the main stage, culminating in performances of a customized showcase featuring dance, music, scene work and more. The seniors can also audition for a role in a Depot main stage musical. MORE
2020 Program Dates
JUNIOR PROGRAM (ages 8-12):
SENIOR PROGRAM (ages 13+):
$300/student. If registering two or more students, first student registration is $300, subsequent student registration will be $200/student.
NOTE: Multiple child discount is not available online. If registering additional participants at the $200/child rate, please download, print and send in the Participation Guidelines and Registration Form.
The registration fee may be waived in cases of financial hardship. Generally actors will be considered for a scholarship if they qualify for the free and reduced price lunch program at school. This information will be kept strictly confidential.
Junior Program Details
Junior ACADEMY Program registration includes:
- Workshops led by Equity professionals in acting, voice, and dance, culminating in three performances of this yearâ€™s production, INTO THE WOODS, JR.
- 2 tickets to each performance of INTO THE WOODS, JR.
- Live musical accompaniment for rehearsals and performances.
- Opportunities to interact with and learn from visiting professional theatre personnel.
PARTICIPANT AGES: 8-12
PROGRAM DATES: July 6-26, 2020
AUDITIONS: May 16, 2020 at the Depot Theatre, 6705 Main St., Westport, NY
REHEARSALS: Rehearsals are from 9am-4pm, Monday-Friday.
PERFORMANCE DATES: July 24-26
PROGRAM REHEARSAL/PERFORMANCE LOCATION: Whallonsburg Grange Hall
ARTISTIC and MUSICAL DIRECTOR: Adam Tilford
DIRECTOR/CHOREOGRAPHER: Jackie Robertin
THE 2020 DEPOT THEATRE ACADEMY JUNIOR PROGRAM IS GENEROUSLY SPONSORED BY THE ROGERS-CARROLL FOUNDATION.
Senior Program Details
Senior ACADEMY Program registration includes:
- Acting/tech intern program with instruction from Actors’ Equity professionals in voice, dance, scene work, and tech in preparation for multi-discipline performance as part of a cabaret/showcase on the Depot Theatre main stage.
- Seniors will have access to Depot staff and Equity professionals to receive college theater preparation assistance.
- EQUITY OPPORTUNITY: As a benefit of the Depot’s status as an Equity theatre, senior Academy participants who perform in Depot main stage shows will also have the opportunity to join the Equity Membership Candidate Program (EMC).
- In addition to the workshops and cabaret, all of the senior participants will be able to audition for one of four parts alongside the professional performers in the Depot’s main stage production of BARNUM: THE MUSICAL.
PARTICIPANT AGES: 13 and older and enrolled in school (inclusive of home school and college)
Regular program: July 27-August 23, 2020
BARNUM actors: July 20-August 23, 2020
AUDITIONS: May 16, 2020 at the Depot Theatre, 6705 Main St., Westport, NY (for both BARNUM and Academy performances).
PERFORMANCES: August 22-23, 2020
PROGRAM/PERFORMANCE LOCATION: Depot Theatre, 6705 Main St., Westport, NY
EQUITY OPPORTUNITY: Seniors who are awarded parts in the main stage show, BARNUM, will be eligible to earn EMC (Equity Membership Candidate points). LEARN MORE
ARTISTIC AND MUSICAL DIRECTOR: Adam Tilford
CHOREOGRAPHER: Dan Bob Higgins
SCENE DIRECTION: Adam Tilford, Jackie Robertin